Most people are completely unaware of brief awakenings, but because of the sleep disruption, they complain of not feeling refreshed, daytime sleepiness and fatigue. This affects job performance, energy level and risk of falling asleep while driving.
In addition, obstructive sleep apnea puts a major stress on your heart.
The risks of sleep apnea:
- #1 known cause of high blood pressure.
- Triples risk for having a heart attack.
- Increases risk for a stroke
- Potential cause of cardiac arrest and death during sleep.
- Increases risk for diabetes, depression, headaches, memory difficulty and erectile dysfunction.
Your health practitioner will discuss your medical history, lifestyle and symptoms, then conduct a physical exam. If there is evidence of sleep apnea symptoms, your practitioner will advise you on appropriate testing.